About Me

My photo
Leicester/Oxford, UK
student, traveller, keen aficionado of TTOW

Wednesday, January 13

Contra



I have just mannaged to get a copy of the new Vampire Weekend record "Contra". I quickly uploaded it to my Ipod and sat back and started listening. It really was a breath of fresh air...

It begins with the classic VW sound and suddenly you are grasped into the song and nodding your hod without thinking. It really is a great opening song and it sets up the record perfectly. The vocal solo, plus violin, is brilliant as Erza (lead singer) portrays a meal full of chicken fillet or something.. Calfornia English, don't know it is meant to take the piss or not..

Cousins will probably be the first single, considering that a video has been filmed. It has the obvious VW guitar sound of delelelelele etc.. I LIKE

Diplomat's Son perhaps is the first sign of something different from the VW. By this i mean that i can decipher a little synthesiser somewhere. Don't get me wrong I like it and definitely adds to their sound.

Giving up the gun (some sort of political stance) has a great drum beat throughout..
Holiday..typical VW around 2 min duration..

Horchata (some kind of tea i think) really is delightful and a possible single..plus a xylophone type of instrument definitely adds to the song like Sans Soliel form Miike Snow.. next single

I think your a contra. Slight drag, probably to increase their female fan base..

Run. Song of the Record I think.. Catchy synth and drum beats with clever lyrics all in the classic VW style of up and down.. One to watch

Taxi Cab is a song that will probably grow on me but maybe not, whatever... again maybe one for the ladies.

I'd heard the live version of White Sky and loved it and the recorded version is not any different. Shows how the band has matured from catchy pop rock to actually writing proper songs..Erza'a voice really shows in this..

Overall I would give the record an 8.12/10 but in a few months time I can see that this might rise.. It should be more successful than their first but I doubt that will hapopen. Their fans will love this but that is it really. They will obviously play Glastonury and Reading/Leeds but not as headliners.. sadly

No comments:

Post a Comment